Welcome to Tanglewood.

 Let's start with the basics:

Who am I? Why Tanglewood we Weave? What's this blog about? Do I really think people will be read it? What's the plan?

 1. I am a librarian/actor/uber driver/merman/? in Texas, I have a lot of hobbies and a set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. ... sorry, wrong monologue. I like to DIY and I have very very very little budget. I fix things myself because I enjoy it and because I absolutely cannot afford to pay anyone to fix something I can learn to do myself. My solutions will not be the height of fashion, but they usually end up functional. The more things I fix, the more i am prepared for the next job.

 2. Tanglewood is the street I live on. I thought the name was cute. Next question.

 3. I have been boring my facebook fam with posts of my house fixing for a while now, I thought I would share that with the world! I really enjoy other people's DIY house blogs. I want to be one of the cool kids! My home is a "modern minimal" built in 1940. It's not glamorous, or even very large. It never has been either of those things. Where I live, just outside Dallas, was/is a blue collar modest neighborhood where average families could build a simple home and finally own their little piece of the American dream. It has remained that way, people without a ton of cash but happy to have safe homes of their own. I would love to have a 19th century Victorian or craftsman home with deep history, dozens of rooms, etc. ... but there is still history to be found, loved, and explored in my not-that-old-but-still-also-old house. The upside is, since there's nothing particularly historical or valuable about my particular house, I have some freedom to stray from the mark when I choose. My aesthetic varies. I love the drama and optimism of the very early 20th century, the gilded age. You know, real wood and brass, a sense of grandeur without the over the top drama and opulence of the mid-Victorian mansion. Things that are beautiful and functional. There is justification neither for ornament without purpose nor for purpose without style. A nice blend. I like strong, masculine, moody... mixed with abstract art and brilliant color. I am not going to be the "everything clean, crisp, white" decorator. I understand that aesthetic... but it's not me. I kind of want to throw paint at it. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER use "Agreeable grey." Again, it's fine, it's just not me. So many design blogs seem to producing the same predictable aesthetics. Basically... Expect me to not quite stay in one box or another. You do you... I'm going to make it up as I go.

4. Do I really think people will read it? I have no idea. It makes me happy, and I do enjoy the sound of my own voice in my head. If I link it to my facebook, maybe some of my friends will wander over. I'll probably not stop sharing on the fb... it's the easiest way to keep my parents and overseas family up to date.

5. What's the plan? Wing it! Given the budget constraints mentioned above, it won't be a quick room redo everyweek. Many of my projects are done in small parts spread over several weeks as money or time allows. Some of my projects are driven by pure necessity; "there's water seeping out of the wall, better learn about plumbing!" (That actually happened)... SO I will start with what I know about the house's history, rehash things I have done over the past 3 years, and plan future projects as they come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Know thyself. Know thyself. Know thySELF!